8/02/2011

Breast-Feeding Doll


 

Sindya N. Bhanoo for the NY Times reports:
"There’s a new doll entering the American toy market called the Breast Milk Baby. In addition to the doll, little girls (and boys) get a halter top that they can wear, with two flowers that symbolize breasts."As the doll’s mouth is brought to the flowers, it makes a sucking sound, as if it is drinking milk. Afterward, the doll cries until it is burped.“The whole purpose behind a doll is to pretend like you’re a parent,” said Dennis Lewis, the American representative for Berjuan Toys, the Spanish company that makes the dolls. “The dolls are meant to just let kids play as mommies and daddies naturally.”
Actually this New York Times report is outdated although it was just published this past week. The doll is already on the market and one place it's being sold is Amazon.Com. It is called Bebe Gloton Breastfeeding Doll and sells for $118. It's only $89. here: http://thebreastmilkbaby.com/ and this site has demonstration videos as well.
The box says: el primer muneco lactante. If I were just translating blind I'd say it means the first lactating doll.  And gloton translated from the Spanish means glutton or gluttonous. Another dictionary says it could mean gourmand. ;-)
But is the doll anatomically correct? I'd like to see dolls look like humans from the neck down rather than have baby dolls suckling flowered tank tops and burping.


This goes for fashion dolls as well. Why not? Our dolls have breasts, nipples and butt cracks. Why are the vaginas and penises missing?

A much more interesting line of dolls comes from Amamanta Family dolls. Click on the picture below to go to their website and view the unique dolls they offer.


2 comments:

  1. The Sybarites have vaginas.. it's all body blushed. :)

    I remember the Joey Stivic doll from "All In The Family" in the 70's. He had a penis. People were initially outraged, then.. they got over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HORRIFYING!!!! Not something I would even remotely consider buying or allowing my little girl to have. As for completely anatomically correct fashion dolls - - don't believe that's anything needed either. Fashion dolls are SUPPOSED to be about the FASHIONS - not what they have NAKED.

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.