5/03/2010

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter Dolls from Ashton Drake

I don't have any familiarity with the Dark-Hunter series at all. I'm guessing they hunt vampires and I like vampires so there you go.
The artists over at Integrity Toys (who could that be?) have designed these dolls but AD is handling the distribution.
The first two dolls are called Acheron and Simi. AD's website for these characters states that "Each collectible Dark-Hunter doll is meticulously detailed with clothing and accessories straight off the pages of your favorite book. Symbolic of quality and collectability, each doll is handcrafted in premium materials and entirely hand painted." Entirely? Really? I'm impressed.
The images currently on the website are artist's renderings. Be forewarned. However, today, Integrity posted real pictures.


Who took these pictures? They do not show off the dolls well with the use of a soft focus and red lighting. I'm sure I could do a better job but they won't be here unless someone sends me one or two for free.

I would like her coffin handbag, though. Doesn't she look alot like Veronique? Integrity vehemently denies that it is the same sculpt. They say the two are completely new sculpts.

Retail Price: $149. each.
Availability date has not been announced as yet and although he was asked more than one time, David Buttry of Integrity Toys would not answer the question about edition numbers. I'm guessing because there are no edition numbers to be had.
I wouldn't order until I saw real life pictures and read reviews from buyers.

12 comments:

  1. I think Sherrilyn Kenyon's facebook has the real life pictures...I may order just for those accessories, Not very wowed by their faces

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of these dolls but not the actual dolls. I will pass especially in light of the fact that the accessories appear to be plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are kind of cool.. if they were 17" tall.. I'd be in.

    I like the male doll. I like the female doll's look, except the laces on the female doll's boots look molded (not moldy.. LOLOLOL)

    She does look like Veronique... :)
    Thanks for posting, Ms. Gold.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of the books and think the Simi doll looks really good, but I'm VERY disappointed in the Acheron doll. I think he looks lame. Why??? I think his face is more feminine than masculine. Yes, I know he has a 5 o'clock shadow, but I think it doesn't help him out any and mainly looks cheesy and rico suave-esque. His nose, eyes and eyebrows are very femme. Ick.
    I also hoped for better boots that could go over his jeans goth style and better quality looking clothes in general. Cheesy jeans (look like mom jeans), cheesy backpack (guys never carry that shaped backpack). The doll also looks like a manorexic, scrawny, not hot.

    I really liked the conceptual sketches they did for Acheron (which I can't find on their site anymore). They were perfect. Unfortunately, I don't think the doll making artists rendered the doll accurately AT ALL. Such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos are conceptual,artistic and indicate the tone of the dolls. Not everyone shoots on a white background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ ANON 5/4/10 2:16 AM

    I feel the same way, although the Hommes line from FR was a good indicator of how femme you can expect your boys to be. Personally, It's the candy red streaks that throw me off first.

    @ Anon 5/4/10 4:47 AM

    It's true not everyone shoots on a white background. It's also true that this has been an ongoing issue with Integrity, the promo shots don't actually show you the products. These aren't as bad as some, but IT is famous for giving you 1 or 2 images of a premium priced doll without showing you what you are getting for the money. It's different with characters from a story, because people are buying into the ideas more than the fashion, but it's still priced like a premium doll so it's not unreasonable to want to see good photos. Fortunately, the IRL ones were available already too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous said...
    "The photos are conceptual,artistic and indicate the tone of the dolls. Not everyone shoots on a white background."

    Not everyone takes good pictures either. The concept in the first picture -> a guy from the suburbs waiting at the train station to go to work.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this point I don't buy an Integrity doll until it is released and I see an actual picture of the doll I am to buy from the seller.
    I don't have any interest in these Dark-Hunter dolls at all, but what one sees in production "concept" photos is completly subjective. You see a commuter and someone else sees the character they have been a fan of realized in a doll. "Good pictures" is truly a subjective experience. If the dolls differ from Integrity's photo's, that does suck!
    It happened to me with the first Isha and In Bloom. I was dissapointed and would not have ordered the dolls. My new motto " Any doll I want,is worth the wait until it actually comes out and I see what it "really" looks like". ;)
    A little long winded (the motto) LOL, but in the end I'm happy with the doll I choose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have luv an FR Lilith version of this "Veronique" (to me it is Veronique).

    I would love the outfits and purse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting. The female doll sure does look like Veronique. Maybe it's the new Veronique facemold?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simi in person is GORGEOUS and sooooooo true to the character but Acheron im very dissapointed the ONLY reason im nnot sending back him is because i am a loyal fan and waited awhile for these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think the doll looks like Veronique I have the Simi doll only thing about mine is I need to fix her stalkings and her stand drives me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.