4/23/2011

Gustav Klimt Barbie ~ Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer

Klimt's Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer
Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I is a painting by Gustav Klimt completed in 1907. According to press reports it was sold for US$135 million to Ronald Lauder for his Neue Galerie in New York City in June 2006, which made it at that time the most expensive painting ever sold.[1] It has been on display at the gallery since July 2006. Update on ownership of painting-click here.
There is no question that I will buy this doll. She is much more than a representation of a famous painting.  A must read:  the story behind the painting is very interesting and an important part of history. 

This homage to Klimt's Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer is part of The Museum Collection which is one of three Barbie Collector series inspired by some of the world's most iconic masterpieces.

They are the Barbie Art Van Gogh Doll:

  
Barbie Art Van Gogh Doll
Van Gogh would cut off his other ear if he saw this doll who looks like she came straight from the set of Jersey Girls.
Not all doll collectors studied art history so it won't seem such a sacrilege to have used the wonderful, emotive brushwork and colors of Van Gogh on a flirty blonde Barbie dress. I do like the dress and the way the black organic motif winds up and over her shoulder.

Starry Night (June, 1889) by Vincent Van Gogh;  Museum of Modern Art NYC
and the Barbie Art Leonardo Da Vinci Doll:

Barbie Art Leonardo Da Vinci Doll
This doll looks very little like the portrait in every way imaginable but the colors are similarly muddy and subdued.  Restored - not so muddy.
Mona Lisa or La Gioconda (1503-1505/07) by Leonardo Da Vinci; Louvre, Paris, France

Dolls are due July, 2011. MSRP $39.99 each

3 comments:

  1. Omg!!! Gustav Klimt is my favorite artist! I really like this Barbie! I love how they did her hair and the gown looks beautiful.
    Thank you for showing these, Terri.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very few Barbies of late have piqued my interest. I have to admit, this is one of them. she's amazing. More like a work of art herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Klimt style, a lot.. so I must have this Barbie.. and she is soo not barbie..

    I am worndering.. if they will have the pivotal body...

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.