4/17/2013

Heading Back to PA from IDEX 2013

I have a little time this morning before having to leave for the airport so I wanted to talk a little about the new Gene doll and post a few pictures.
Phoenix is a pretty doll who comes with two wigs caps and a plain cap for use with your own wigs. She comes with a set of white gloved hands and standard hands. They are easy to switch out once you get the hang of it.
Monday night Sandra Stillwell came over and we spent about 4 hours dressing and redressing Phoenix and an IT Madra in Sandra's designs from her last convention. My rudimentary photo studio consisted of an ironing board, a few dim lamps and a good camera with a small external flash unit attached. Certainly not optimal conditions but we made do.


Yes, the IT dolls were taller. Even blocking out Madra's hair, you can see that the legs or torso contribute to the height. Phoenix is closer to the old AD height. Every other part of the body appears to be the same size.
Here she is with her brunette wig cap.
Phoenix dressed in her own gown without her jewelry and train.
Phoenix dressed in one of Sandra's lovely fashions.
These are just teasers. I will have more pictures of the doll herself later on.

Here are pictures from Saturday, the day of the presentation. The room itself was very dark so there is only one picture from there. Most of these are from the hall outside the venue and from nearby.







Mel went around like a proud Papa showing Gene to attendees. He was glowing with pride and joy.
During his verbal presentation he talked about how much he enjoyed the collectors over the years, sharing with them and traveling around the country to events. Sounds like he wants to pick that up again.
There are a handful of naysayers complaining about the price which was $525. at the event and $550. on line. But there were many more who defended the price of this exclusive resin convention doll as being similar to other resin BJD event dolls.
Apparently there is a market in this price range for resin BJD Gene because Phoenix Gene sold out lightning fast. Another one is on the way from FDQ according to the magazine distributed to attendees by Pat Henry.  More information on that doll will be forthcoming. What we do know is that she will be in day wear a la Dior.
This revival will be very interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to any individual fashions that may be designed and released. No, I do not have insider information on that aspect - I'm just hoping.

In the meanwhile, Sandra Stillwell has some beautiful, era appropriate designer fashions for sale on her website. I photographed many of them for her on Monday and will be sending her the images shortly so she can post them on her site. I'll post some of them on my blog, too.



Robert Tonner
John Dean, Philip Myers



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the comparison photos. She really is lovely! I can understand people being upset about Gene being so expensive, but still, if you want a doll that won't yellow, a doll that has better pose ability, is handcrafted, AND comes with changeable hair (not to mention a fantastic outfit), then I don't see how one couldn't expect the doll to cost this much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comparison. Both the AD and the IT dolls look muddy compared to the translucent JS skintone. Which is funny, because I think the Gene skintone makes all the other dolls look muddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell you the truth...one was actually muddy due to staining on her arms. Thank you for your comments. <3

      Delete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.