12/03/2009

Flocking Tutorial from RestoreDoll.com

Kathy at RestoreDoll.com sent out this excellent tutorial on flocking doll heads. I have done some editing for clarity and present it to you here.

_______

An easy and inexpensive change for your dolls is to use flocking. White flocking looks good on guy dolls, elves, fairies and avant guard models. Pink and light colors also look great and take little effort. Think of doing a take-off on the fifties elves that were done with flocking and glitter for a magical effect...add some to wings and it gives a magical look. My favorite vintage 1950’s ornaments have flocked hair, i.e. angels and choirboys. I still display these. Do you remember flocked Santas?

Reflocking Hair:

Before you get started let’s cover issues that need taken care of before flocking. First make sure your doll is clean. I use KatSilk KatScrub Cleaner or 409 for Vinyl Dolls for regular dirt. If your doll has ink spots or discoloration, I recommend using Remove-Zit from Twin Pines. You want to start out with a clean doll with other restorations already done. You can reflock any doll head.

Supplies: Paper plate, toothpicks, kitchen strainer (the kind with screening in it), a clean blusher brush (the kind you use to put blush on your face), clean white paper and some water.

Work in a well-lit area and take your time.

Take time to study your doll head. Ask yourself, do I want to re-flock the entire head or just spots? Look at the hairline or get some good pictures to follow out of your books or magazines if you can no longer see the hairline.

Unless there is a reason I re-flock over the original flocking. You can mix black with the brown or charcoal if your doll looks darker or glitter.

Put a small amount of glue on your paper plate and use your small brush to add a little water to it. You are looking for a thin consistency that will brush on but will not run.

We are doing the front of the doll first. Start with the small brush forming a hairline as you paint. Outline the front of doll’s hairline up over the ears. If you get some glue on an area that you do not want, take the toothpick and carefully scrape away the unwanted glue. Fill in the rest of the front of the head with the larger brush. You are going to need to add glue and water to your paint mixture (watered down glue) until you have the front side finished.

Pour flocking into the strainer. Put doll head over the paper and shake the strainer over the glued surface. If there are any missed areas or I see that I could use a little more I pick up some flocking with my blusher brush and softly add the flocking to the area.
When satisfied with the look, use the dry blushing brush to gently press the flocking into the glue or pat with a finger. (If any glue gets on your blushing brush, remove it with a dry towel.)
If you see the hairline does not look straight use your toothpick to scrape away any unwanted flocking.
Take your time and don’t be in a hurry
Brush the excess off any area that looks too thick. Also, brush off any flocking that has gotten on to the unglued area.
Turn the doll over and repeat this process on the back of the head. I like to let the doll dry in a sitting up position so none of the flocking is touching any surface as it dries.
If you don’t like the way it looks you can always wash off the flocking and glue with warm and start over.

Happy Holidays,

Kathy at RestoreDoll.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.