5/24/2012

Sybarite, Ficon, Jamieshow Body Comparison

Today's photoshoot will be the last one in my current studio as I am going to start packing down there. I won't be packing my cameras, though. They don't get packed.

Anyway, I thought I'd compare the three types of fashion BJD's that were in my studio this morning without their clothes as that is how they will be packed for moving.

The stands I used for all three are the best saddle stands I've ever used. They are the Jamieshow stands. The Ficon stand is useless. It doesn't stay firmly upright. The Sybarite stand is OK but the extension ability is useless because it's too loose.
The dolls are, from left to right, Jamieshow Winter Grace, Ficon Leonie and Sybarite Talc.  Talc is the tallest and has the largest head. I don't know if I'm just getting used to seeing oversized heads or if Leonie's head is really too small for her body.
The picture of Devon is not the same scale as the other three dolls. I don't have her anymore so I couldn't do a comparison but I wanted to show what a gorgeous body she has. Note that her knees are similar to those of Leonie in that one doesn't see the stringing when the knee is bent. I think the design needs strengthening although it's the most attractive.

Leonie has the biggest butt when seen in profile. Her shoulders are set forward, closer to her chest than the other two dolls. There is very little movement in her torso joint. Talc's torso joint sometimes gets so 'moved' that it looks strange. She is very flexible.
Weight: Grace weighs exactly 13 ounces; Leonie 13.75 oz and Talc a whopping 1 pound 7.12 ounces.
The blushing on Grace's back is a little exaggerated. Her resin feels like silk.

Knees: It may be that I'm not used to Leonie yet as I just got her a few days ago but I'm finding that her knee joints are inferior. They bend the wrong way on their own. I occasionally had the same problem with the Numina knees which weren't strong enough to support the weight of the body. They look better when the doll is seated but perhaps something was sacrificed for the sake of appearance.

Seated: Talc was the easiest to get seated up straight and her arms and hands went where I placed them. Leonie elbow joints are on the kicky side and kept bending on their own although I wanted them to touch the table. She sits nicely with her knees together and ankles crossed. Grace has some difficulty sitting up straight as there is a limited range of movement in her hip joint. It took quite a bit of manipulation to get her to sit the way you see her here. 
 Hands: Grace has the prettiest, most graceful hands. Talc's hands are like paddles compared to Graces.

Leonie does not have pierced ears. Grace has holes for earrings and Talc has a non-removable ring onto which one can hang earrings. I like the hole version as I have tons of earrings with posts and very few with hooks.



13 comments:

  1. As someone new to Resin BJD fashion dolls, this was the best show and tell. Thanks so much, Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very helpful. I completely agree about the hands.....I REALLY wish that Superfrock had redesigned the hands along with the body....sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Leonie's head is too small. In Fashion Illustration, the Fashion models' heads are always in that proportion. I have a few JamieShow dolls, and Sybarites, but I'd never actually seen a Ficon doll in the buff. I have to admit that from your photos, I really like her alot. Really pretty from the side, good proportion, and I like that she can sit with her knees together. Love my JamieShow dolls, and the new Sybarite bodies pose wonderfully. All great dolls! From a design standpoint, it's interesting to see how each company approached the design of the bodies. The knee joints stand out the most to me. All three are very different. The joint at the waist/hips also catches my attention. It doesn't appear that Leonie is articulated at the waist. Is that true, or do I just need my bifocals? :P Thanks, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. Neither the Ficon nor the Numina have waist articulation.

      Delete
  4. That was interesting!! For Talc, why don't you just go to Penny's or whatever local anchor stores you have & buy marked down real earrings? There are always tons & tons of stuff here in town that would be the puuuurfect scale for her. Hooks are cheap

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for yet another insightful y and explanation of what are money is buying, by the way, so was the "better" of the 3, Jamieshow?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this Ms Terri! was looking for comparison pics for a long time. This is most useful with my work.

    Kisskiss!
    Cholo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet in San Diego5/24/12, 8:47 PM

    Terri,

    Great comparison shots. People are always asking me about the differences and I have always meant to take comparison shots.

    I do have to say that my Ficons pose the best for me. Leonie has not arrived yet. I hope she is as good as the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative post! The only thing I prefer about Syb hands (as compared to JS) is when I want to redress a doll, I can slip the outfit over the Syb hands quickly. With my JS, I have to remove the pretty hands, put in ball hands, dress them, and put the pretty hands back on, and hope I don't break one of their delicate fingers. The JS hands are much more beautiful, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite true about the JS hands. Same for Ficon. Their separated fingers can easily get caught on a thread or a seam and go bye-bye before you know it.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for posting this Ms. Gold. Much appreciated. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. In regards to the Sybarite stand, here's a trick I picked up from Charles. Bend the hollow post just slightly so that when you insert the saddle post into it, there is friction and it holds the desired height. But I do agree that the JS stands are the best.

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.