8/07/2013

Coach Barbie Doll

The highly publicized Coach Barbie Doll goes on sale in a few hours at BC.Com. It's one of the Gold Label releases and retails for $95.

My opinion of this unarticulated doll with plastic shoes: I like the coat and the real leather coach handbag.  The doll has a nice hairstyle. I wonder what the outfit looks like underneath the coat. Another doll in the same position as thousands before her does nothing for me. The price is high and yet, people will buy her.

Here's the text from Mattel's site:
She wears a Classic Trench in Tattersall, an exact replica of the popular Coach style, along with a striped sweater and an ultrasuede skirt. The turnlocks on the skirt are exact replicas of the Coach handbag turnlocks. But it’s her red Classic Duffle that marks a fashion milestone: this is Barbie® doll’s first genuine leather bag, made from start to finish in a Coach factory with the same care and attention given to every Coach bag. The Classic Duffle includes a drawstring dust bag.

Now if the shoes were leather and the doll were articulated, I might consider her.  Or maybe if it were a Silkstone doll...

What do you think? Is the miniature Coach handbag worth it? Perhaps that's the way to look at it.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Terri,

    I would have considered buying her if she were a Silkstone as I love the Silkstone.

    And it would have been nice to have something better than plastic shoes.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit when I heard the name "Coach Barbie" I was thinking something like Jane Lynch from "Glee". ;-)

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Is she worth it for the bag?"

    No.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought her because of the $35 discount. ($20 coupon and $15 promo discount currently going on. So breaking it down, I paid $20 for the handbag, $20 for the outfit and $20 for the doll because the Lara mold is one of my faves. Most outfits sold don't come with shoes, so I didn't even consider those in my thought process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I realized that I would get $35. off the price, I ordered one, too. Sigh. I just want the bag. I'll sell the doll and probably the outfit as well.

      Delete
  5. I just want the background, I love Mattel's backgrounds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like this doll's face. I find that for some reason, I dislike the Silkstone faces. The bag is very nice. But the package doesn't seem to justify $95.00 to me. Or $60. And I think maybe it's because at some point, it started to creep me out that Barbie's feet are always way too small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is it that articulated dolls are always relegated to Barbie playlines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even stranger when you think about Monster High dolls, Mattel not only has them fully articulated, but their hands are removable for redressing. Why would they want that in all of their Barbies?

      Delete
    2. For me, I honestly prefer the unarticulated, ModelMuse body sculpt on most collectible Barbies. I believe it does make the collector Barbies more sophisticated and elegant. Somehow articulation seems a little bit sloppy, and the joints showing is unflattering. The limited poses is not actually an issue, as the ModelMuse sculpt is versatile enough in what I've seen in many collectors taking pictures of them. To me, a ModelMuse body sculpt is like a mannequin, with fixed posses to display fashion. Surely you can't expect a mannequin to be articulated...

      Delete
    3. Yes, I can. High end mannequins have more articulation than Barbie dolls.

      Delete
  8. I prefer my dolls to be cruelty free. So no, a coach leather bag would not be worth any price or welcome in my collection.

    My anorexic coked up loose models have morals!

    $95 for a stiff model muse barbie? The coat doesn't even look like it's lined.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.