Every time I see pictures of the destruction of Far Rockaway and Rockaway Beach I feel stunned. My grandparents had a summer house on Beach 29th at Seagirt and I spent the best part of my childhood there. That house was razed years ago but is in my heart forever. Going to the beach during the day and the boardwalk at night. It never got any better.
The boardwalk is gone.
As an adult I taught in a public school on Beach 5st St and I could see the ocean 2 blocks away through my classroom window. I wonder if the mosaic mural my art students created survived in the lobby of the building.
Another hurricane I remember...I was less than 10 years old. My mother drove to Rockaway from Brooklyn where
we lived to 'rescue' my grandparents because the bay and the ocean had met. I remember all the earth worms on the sidewalks. There's no reason or rhyme as to what is important to a young child. That
was very long ago. The water was thigh high in front of the house. I don't remember where my mother parked the car.
The Rockaways are situated between the Atlantic Ocean on one side and Jamaica
Bay on the other.
Please donate something to the American Red Cross. Anything. This is the United States and we need each other. It happened here.
- Sales: Furniture, Backdrops, Props, Miscellaneous
- Sales: Tonner and Wilde Imagination
- SALES: Jun Planning BJD, Super Dollfie, Super Dollfie Encyclopedia
- Sales: Magazines, Books & Patterns
- Sales: Kingdom Doll, Ficon & More
- Sales: Mattel Barbie; Monster High
- Sales: Gene Marshall; Madame Alexander; Mod British Birds
- Sales: Sybarite
- Sales: Integrity Toys 12" and 16"
- Sales: Wigs