3/31/2010

Harley-Davidson Barbie and Ken Giftset


Let me say right off the bat that this is one of the best Kens ever made. He's good looking, his hair is done well, he's fully articulated -wrists, elbows, shoulders, ankles, knees, legs and neck and the clothes look good on him. He's a winner. He comes with an adjustable waist gripper plastic stand but he can stand on his own. The Barbie doll on the other hand is articulated only at the knees, legs, shoulders and neck. Why is she a second class citizen? It just doesn't make sense to articulate one doll and not the other. Her outfit is adorable and fits her well. Her hair is another story. The texture of the hair makes it knotty. Some of it comes out when it's combed. The bump thing on the crown of her head is not hard and could easily be taken down if one wished.
They both come with sunglasses and helmets. The helmets are a joke. They are very small and look like batters' helmets rather than motorcycle helmets. Barbie does not have applied lashes and she does have a rhinestone in her navel.
Barbie's stand is one of those sway types for the models although her body is not like that.
The set, while not cheap, is worth getting just for Ken. Keep her clothes; get rid of Barbie.

The bike in the photo was picked up at a rummage event. It is not Mattel as far as I can tell.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting Terri.. Nice to see how articulated Ken is!

    I think Mattel failed Barbie on this one. How is she supoosed to to hold on?
    Thanks for posting!
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! Poor HD Barbie. She is a pretty doll, but even the bodyshape is off. It's like a mish mash. The top of her body reminds me of those short/stocky Fashion Fever dolls which were hated, and the legs from Fashionista.

    Too bad Mattel didn't feel like giving us collectors a 100% worthy package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that I found very interesting in this set is the fact that for the first time that I'm aware of, Barbie is wearing prescription eyewear. Yes, if you look through the tiny lenses, you can tell that they contain some level of magnification. I discovered it quite by chance. Why they did is a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will appeal to Gay Bikers everywhere.. Don't you think Ken is a bit too cute to be riding a Harley??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want this Ken ! But I do not want the Barbie...I am desperate for him...am I really going to have to pony up $75 just to get HIM ? ! oy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the information
    I will defenetely buy them now but what a dissapointment with barbie

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.