1/15/2023

MoneyQueen Dolls by Nataliia Luka

Unfortunately, I have to say this again: All the images and text on this site are copyrighted by me except in the case of other attribution. If you wish to use one of my photos, you need to get permission in writing from me. Thank you.

MoneyQueen Doll

I have taken several days of consideration and many photographs before writing a review on the MoneyQueen doll that I purchased at the end of August 2022. She arrived in a big box from Poland just after the new year. This purchase was pretty much outside of my comfort zone as I am firmly a Kingdom Doll collector who makes occasional forays into the 12" and under vinyl doll category. 

I don't remember what sent me in this direction at that time other than she looked nice and had two faces and wigs. She was not inexpensive at $700. plus $30. postage.

She did not come with a fashion or doll stand.  

See the editor's update at the end of this post.

What I Received

The order was not delivered in its entirety with the additional head and wig and the CoA was not included either. Nataliia is not fluent in English and apparently, there was a 'misunderstanding' about what I ordered. I did not misunderstand at all. I did know the CoA would be late and told her I did not want to wait for it to be ready. I received a pair of lower legs with a fixed foot. At first, I thought perhaps it would have a flat foot but it is just like the other feet without ankle articulation.


Nataliia's Photo

This is the posted advertisement upon which I based my order.  Nataliia told me she will make a new head for me and I will get the missing wig. 

As I do with all my new dolls, I had her in my doll room and tried to find shoes that would fit. I had no luck at all. Her feet are wide. They look good but I'll have to get a pair of shoes for her. 


Before I go further, I need to explain that all the photos I shot with my iPhone in my doll room have been color corrected to my taste. The above photo and all the ones I shot with my SLR in my studio are not retouched or color corrected at all. In one case, I removed stray hairs that were on her face. 

Why did I color correct when my iPhone usually corrects everything automatically? The blushing on the MQ has an obvious orange tint. I did not like that at all. Here is a full-body shot that clearly shows the orange. This is a matter of personal taste. I would prefer a more neutral blushing on the body and face. 


The photo below shows a comparison between the original, unretouched head and the color-adjusted shot. Let me just repeat, this is my taste and not a defect.


As long as we are on the subject of the head, several collectors have made comments about the shape of MQ's head. I didn't notice that it was really unusually large because her face appears to be proportionate. However, after studying my photos and those from Nataliia, I see that they should be minimized. 

Left - color corrected iPhone. Right - no adjustments.


MQ needs a size 5-6 wig.  I have a few non-hard cap wigs and did some quickie try-ons. These were size 6-7. I didn't fuss with them obviously, and they don't do anything for her. 


This 5-6 wig fits her. I didn't say it looks good but any soft cap wig will need to be styled after it's put on. Trimming is often necessary.


The rooted scalp system is clever but a bit fiddly to put on. And, it would look better if the head/forehead were smaller. 
I'm going to put a ribbon through the stringing inside her head. That makes it much easier to pull up to remove or replace the head. 
Notice that she has inset as opposed to painted eyes. According to the BJD mavens, that makes her a true BJD. 

During her photo shoot, I decided to move the upper chest joint. It seems to have been too tight and left some marks. 


Her hands are lovely. The nails neet just a bit of refining. I will polish them myself with a tiny brush, acrylic paint and gloss sealer. I'll do the same to her toenails.


MoneyQueen has incredible flexibility. I think she will make an excellent lingerie or bathing suit model in my collection. The extra joint in her upper hip allows all sorts of leg positions. It also sacrifices a bit of stability when standing. The stringing is very good.




MQ is a lovely doll that needs refinement. Most of all, her head needs to be made smaller. Her feet need a narrower sculpt to be in line with shoes that are readily available. The color blushing needs to be less orange.

Other changes I'd like to see are:
-an extra set of differently styled hands that can be switched out,
-closer attention to the eyebrow painting.
-a doll stand
-a face shield.

Editor Update:  At this time I do not recommend purchasing this doll. There are too many refinements missing and the size of the head is wrong for the body. In addition, one would have to have custom shoes and fashions created for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.