2/10/2019

La Scala Georgiana Reviewed

This week, the first release of Monarch Dolls was sent out to collectors. The response has been tremendously positive judging by what I've seen on the boards and on Facebook.
There were two versions, each in an edition of 50 pieces. I picked La Scala. The other one is called Covent Garden Georgiana.

It's only four days from when people began to receive their dolls and I've already seen five people with both versions. (We were supposed to choose one or the other.) That's five who are either posting photos or just talking about getting both. There's nothing wrong with that but I wonder about the people who made such a fast decision and turn-around to sell theirs. Some of them are saying that they didn't bond or that the doll is too small for them. There are some who bought the doll to trade it for something else. OK, whatever.


I used to wonder about the same thing on the W Club board. There were always two or three people who posted a brand new doll for sale immediately at a jacked-up price. There's something missing with the thought process of someone who has the balls to do that. The potential buyer, willing to pay a premium for a doll, may be happy, but the one that dearly wanted a chance to have one is not and becomes resentful. I feel bad for a long time doll friend who has never been able, in five years, to get a 16" Kingdom Doll and now was also not able to get a Monarch Doll either.

That's the doll world and I suppose it goes on in every collectible milieu.

Back to La Scala. She is 12" tall and has a size 4 head. If you put a 4-5 on her, it will be too full. I have a dozen or more 4/5 wigs that look ridiculous on La Scala. Wigs made for Integrity's Monogram dolls fit quite well. Barbie has a size 4 head but I have no wigs made for her to test.
Her joints are perfectly strung and her posing ability is excellent. The resin feels like velvet and has a matte finish. It is recommended that the doll is handled only with gloves to avoid transferring natural body oils to the resin which will eventually cause the matte to go shiny.

The red silk dress with its gold insert is reminiscent of a 16" Kingdom Doll gown.



Her purse is a faux gold metal envelope with a rhinestone letter M and dangles on a long gold chain. It opens.


Her right hand is a "pocketbook holding" hand. Monarchs do not have extra hands. 


Her shoes were cast in resin to fit their ultra-arched shape.


I have them shown below with tiny rubber bands as one kept falling off while I was dressing and photographing her. I didn't want them to disappear as no other shoes in my huge collection of 1/6 scale dolls shoes will fit. They are a clear resin with shiny red sparkles.
You can also see the lovely new stand with the Monarch symbol in gold on a white acrylic base. 


Another alteration I made was to the saddle of the stand. I cut a strip of moleskin and adhered it to the surface of the saddle. It's protection against thigh rub marks and also provides a bit of resistance to the doll slipping.


My comparison photo shows (left to right) La Scala, a frankendollied articulated Barbie body, an original Silkstone body, the newer articulated Silkstone body, an FR2 body and a Dominion Doll body. The four in the middle are not resin dolls, of course. 
La Scala has a beautifully sculpted, proportioned body. 




She makes a lovely addition to my collection.


Georgiana Devonshire cost $650 plus postage.

6 comments:

  1. This is why I didn't even try for these little vixens. I knew I wouldn't get one and then I'd have to watch others get both and many would then sell them - its painful for me to watch. I cannot afford the after market prices. I have only made the lottery on one KD doll. Some people have every single KD doll and even duplicates. My pockets aren't that deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fortunate to have her. I just love her. I guess I will never have her though, with those edition sizes. It's OK though, I am not resentful but rather, grateful for the dolls I do have. I really appreciate your posts, pics and information. I can have her vicariously, LOL!

    I got some 1/6th resin bodies from Jamie Show but they can't hold their pose properly, similar to the older 1/6th scale Valia dolls. I think those were resin too. Will you correct me please, if I am wrong? I got two but sold their bodies for the above reason, and put their heads on Victoire Roux bodies.

    The neck knob on those Jamie Show bodies was supposed to be universal, ie. accept any small head, but it does look weird. I didn't get the original small Jamie Show head as I wasn't in love. They were quite nice though. I can't bond with dolls larger than 1/6th scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, it seems we can post comments :)
    1. Thank you for comparison photo of the body size. I like the body, hope I will be able to get one. Did you try FR2 clothes? Do they fit?
    2. I feel the same when it comes to winning a doll and immediately posting sales add (rolling eyes)... Is it really that hard to wait at least five minutes... It bugs me big time, those persons are not true collectors.
    3. Does this doll come with earrings? Does she have pierced ear holes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the FR2 clothes fit. It depends on the style. Poppy clothes fit great as do the slim Nu-Face dolls. She does have pierced ears. They are on the thin side so you have to be careful putting in earrings.
      The comment thing was broken for a long time.

      Delete
  4. Hi again,
    You have made a point of posting something that really gets my dander up. I simply refuse to purchase from people who post a brand new doll for sale immediately at a jacked-up price just on principle. I think they are selfish and greedy and don't deserve my patronage. If I can't purchase a new doll at it's retail price, or a pre-loved nude doll cheaper than retail, I don't buy at all. I really feel for your friend, she must be terribly disappointed and dare I say, quite disillusioned with some people in the doll world.

    Do Kingdom Dolls not have the name Monarch name trademarked worldwide? I am surprised IT were able to use the same name seeing as they are in the same category. Anyway, it took me a while before I realized that this range is part of KD and 12" too, might have to keep an eye on them. :) I have many resin dolls, but not resin fashion dolls, so thanks for introducing them to me. Probably missed these as I don't do FB.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is confusing. I don't think one can trademark any word that is in common use in the English language. It seems that ITs Monarch guys and KD's Monarch dolls came to be around the same time. You can get on Kingdom Doll's mailing list and be notified of dolls upcoming availability.

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.