7/19/2010

Speak the truth, but leave immediately after. ~Slovenian Proverb

I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell - Harry S Truman

Once I posted a cartoon to which a gay person objected because there was a reference in there that he felt slighted the gay community. I had choices. I could have explained how the cartoon was a joke, blah, blah and that I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I could have ignored him and dismissed his feelings. I could have removed the cartoon.

People of little understanding are most apt to be angry when their sense is called into question.  - Samuel Richardson

After some thought, I decided to remove the cartoon because it was not related to the theme of my blog in the first place and it wasn't worth it to hang on to my "rights" to post what I saw fit. This is a blog whose theme is dolls and doll collecting. If you log in here one day and find, for example, stories about abortion or women's rights or intermarriage or global warming or weight loss, you would certainly have reason to express concern about the content. I want you to come and read my blog as often as you can!

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.   - Bill Cosby

 If you logged on to a doll board that you've been an active member of for many years only to find a slew of pictures some unknown jerk secretly took at a Walmart store of unknown people in various states of undress, bad clothing, huge bodies hanging out all over and looking like the most downtrodden, slovenly group imaginable, what would you think? What would you do? 

Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence.  ~Lemuel K. Washburn


Revenge has no more quenching effect on emotions than salt water has on thirst.   - Walter Weckler

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! i'm scared of u! chill out chica. I'm takin' the slovak's advice and "leaving immediately after"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: Chica is chillin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri - I am shocked that someone would post pictures they secretly took of others. The fact that they put these up on a doll board is also very disappointing. What is meant to be a friendly, accepting community should not tolerate such disturbing behavior. It not only mean but also creepy in a "not right in the head" kind of way!
    On another note, Terri - I love your blog and have actually switched from perusing doll boards to just checking out your blog every couple of days. Thank you so much for putting together and maintaining such a great site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Renata: I enjoy my blog and I'm pleased to hear from my readers. Thanks for your comments, Renata.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. What offends you most, that the subjects of the photos were unaware their photos were being taken or that they were "in various states of undress, bad clothing, huge bodies hanging out all over and looking like the most downtrodden, slovenly group imaginable?" It seems to me you are taking the post on the doll site very personally. If you didn't like the pictures, you didn't need to look at them. I'm a regular visitor to your blog and the doll sites, and I enjoy them. Sometimes you post things I don't agree with and I skip the post. Sometimes I see things on the doll boards I find offensive and I stop looking. The pics in question are from a site called peopleofwalmart.com. Your description of the subjects of the photos can be applied to anyone on peopleofwalmart.com. Go to a Walmart, you will see such people. Not all of the shoppers look like that, but some of them do. A person who attires their body so far outside what is socially acceptable and appropriate will be judged. Maybe not by you, but by enough people that there is a very popular website for just such a purpose. You are well within your rights to be offended by the post on the doll board. But at the same time, it was not put there to offend you but to entertain those who found it funny.

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.