3/10/2016

Barbie Exhibition Opens at the Museum of Decorative Dolls in Paris

From the Daily Mail.com 

The article I have linked to above is a must see if only for the photographs of this beautifully curated exhibit. Look carefully at the standing dolls to see how bendable (possibly armature) wire has been used to support the dolls without resorting to unsightly doll stands.

The settings that were built for the exhibit are a diorama lovers dream. Apparently many of the Silkstone dolls have been switched to articulated bodies in order to allow them to sit and pose. One wonders what type of bodies were used and if they had access to the recently released bodies or if they used other bodies.


Enjoy!


9 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing this! Looks like they used the new articulated Silkstone bodies (at least the arms and knee joints are the same), but the one on the far right is a lot more pale than the ones already released so I bet these bodies were custom made and have a lot better finishing done to them. Also, it looks like they chose outfits that covered up the elbow joint which it's unsightliness seems to be the biggest issue for collectors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. They are all so amazing. Did they just wrap the wire around the leg? I am still trying to figure this out and am just not quite getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- amazing- maybe I should use armature wire...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The video created by Mattel featuring the atelier diorama pictured in your post is an amazing tribute to this particular Silkstone collection, which I think was one of the best. Narrated by Robert Best.

    https://youtu.be/2Mk8mRY8olU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this Teri. Despite what we may sometimes say about Barbie (and Mattel: articulation, sewn on fashions, molded shoes...glitter!!) This exibit really reminds me of how iconic she is; both as a collectible, but also a snapshot of our times, of womanhood and also as an iconic peice of culture. No other doll has that status... It's kinda cool to see this retrospective. Hopefully they curate this exibit here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Barbie!

    Happy (belated) Birthday, Barbie...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this! The pictures were great!

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.