12/17/2011

Warning: Fraudulent Package Delivery Messages Sent by Email or Phone



This is a warning regarding fraudulent email claiming to be from the United States Postal Service. I think it's very serious as so many of us doll collectors sit impatiently waiting for our latest purchases to arrive. 
This is more than SPAM, it's a serious attempt to mess up your computer.
I have copied this directly from the USPS website.
BEWARE OF SPAM!

BOGUS DELIVERY MESSAGES E-MAILED TO
POSTAL CUSTOMERS
Some postal customers are receiving bogus e-mails about a package delivery. The e-mails
contain a link that, when opened, installs a malicious virus that can steal personal information
from your PC.
The e-mails claim to be from the U.S. Postal Service and contain fraudulent information about an
attempted or intercepted package delivery. You are instructed to click on a link to find out when
you can expect your delivery. But Postal Inspectors warn: Do not click on the link!
Like most viruses sent by e-mail, clicking on the link will activate a virus that can steal
information—such as your user name, password, and financial account information.
What to do? Simply delete the message without taking any further action. The Postal Inspection
Service is working hard to resolve the issue and shut down the malicious program.
If you have questions about a suspicious postal email or wish to report spam, contact the
Postal Inspection Service at spam@uspis.gov.

2 comments:

  1. I get bogus emails (didn't know they made calls too) about packages all the time. When I first started shopping online for dolls and things, I thought they may be legitimate but over a short amount of time I realized that the emails made no sense. How'd did USPS know my email if my package was lost? It's not like it's printed on the box. People do crazy things in order to scam others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this before. I used to get them at work about a year ago sent to the work email so I knew they were bogus.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.