6/22/2010

Frogs, Toads and Dolls

I was not a child with snails and frogs in my pocket. Even now, when working in my garden, I jump every time a hippity-hoppity frog or toad surprises me. Only recently did I realize I would not die if I touched a small frog. (I'm not sure about a large one.) The babies are easy to catch in cupped hands. I catch them to show them to Rudy. He sniffs but is not terribly interested. I think they're adorable. But toads are disgusting. They appear under damp rocks and aren't terribly happy to be discovered. The feeling is mutual.



Frogs, on the other hand, aren't ugly. I've seen beautiful, colorful ones in aquariums.

The ones in my garden are mostly greenish gray. If this fellow showed up, he'd find a home with me. Meet Kermit the Frog from the Tonner Doll Co.

Kermit is 11" tall and is designed in scale to accompany the 16" Miss Piggy. He is considered a "semi-dressed" Tonner Character Figure. Very funny, indeed. His retail price is $44.99. If I put him in my garden would the rabbits clear out and stop eating everything?

For the last several years I have noticed collectors going Gaga over a frog called Wanda. I almost bought one but came to my senses after briefly imagining indulging my impulses. BIC sells them. They have been produced in lots of colors and are limited editions. The following 3 pictures are the property of Amélie Deveau aka Aminie who gave me permission to use them here. If you click on her name, you will go to her Flickr and can see more Wandas.


A special Wanda being sold now at BIC would cost you about $96. plus postage.
This collector, "irulethegalaxy" has a Flickr photostream showing a bowl filled with what seems like the largest assortment of Wonderfrogs ever.
They're cute but how do you tell the sexes apart?


The popularity of frogs are on the rise. Gaga wears them. Doll designer, Veik, adorns a Barbie with frogs.
I will not be collecting frogs any time soon but I do see the cuteness of the cartooon-like characters.

1 comment:

  1. I love toads and frogs! Kermit and Wanda are quite cute. However, there are several varieties of frogs and taods that are poisonous. I'm not sure if there are any in your area, but you might want to check before you pick them up for a cuddle.
    LauraLA

    ReplyDelete

I do not publish readers' links or email addresses. If you wish to contact me or wish me to see something, find me on Facebook and send a FB message. In addition, Blogger is not letting me comment on comments! I'm trying to reconfigure this but I'm at a loss how to do so.